Sunday, October 4, 2009

"Deep Listening" On Centennial Radio 101 FM (Bhutan)

This piece of news is already a little bit old, but i've been so busy updating you on other adventures that I didn't get a chance to update you on my radio work here in Bhutan. I am now hosting a weekly radio show here on Centennial Radio, 101 FM. (one of the four main radio stations in Bhutan). This has been avery exciting development for me. I was delighted when I was asked to do it; little did the owners of the station know that I had always dreamed of doing radio!!!

"Deep Listening" as my show is called, airs every tuesday at 9:00pm with a re-broadcast every morning at 8:00am and every night at 11:00pm. The show features mainly classical music, jazz, indigenous music from around the world (and everything in between) with the goal of bringing music that is not generally heard on the air waves of Bhutan to it's listeners. The music is supplemented with explanations and educational information about the artists and the different styles and types of music aired. In addition the show presents interviews with local Bhutanese musicians and other active individuals in Bhutanese society.

Well, we've already had three shows, with the first show airing on September 15th, and in subsequent weeks. The first show was dedicated to my own music, as Yuki one of the owners of the station asked me to introduce myself by way of my music. The following two shows have been dedicated to a continued introduction of various styles of music, sharing an eclectic mix of some of my favorite music. Starting this tuesday my show will be airing live!

I have started a Facebook group page for the show, to have a place for the listening community here in Bhutan to come and express their thoughts on the show, give feedback, ask questions, make requests, etc. And, i'm also posting my playlists from each show for those of you who are interested in following the show and the music I air.

The group is at the following website:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=176320583676&ref=mf

I guess you have to be a member of facebook to join the group, but you don't have to be a member the view the activity and look at the playlists.

So, you might be wondering, how did such a remarkable thing come about?

Well, Yuki is a Japanese woman married to a Bhutanese man, and their children study at Kilu music school where i'm teaching. I met them these last few weeks. A few years ago, Yuki's husband who works in media started this radio station, and the station was quite successful during the election last year, but since then, he has been appointed Press Secretary for the King and has had to leave the station. As a result, and as a result of some financial difficulties the station had to compress a little bit and is now trying to rejuvinate itself. So, in conversation Yuki asked me if I would have anything interesting to present on a radio show and if I would be interested in doing such a thing. Little did she know that i've always wanted to have a radio show, and that I have a great love for radio in general. I jumped on the offer.

So here we are now - this gives me further opportunity to share my love of music with the broader community here in Bhutan, while simultaneously learning about Bhutan, it's music, culture and society from all the people that i'll be interviewing and interacting with on my show.

For now, signing off -

-Noam


No comments:

Post a Comment