Sunday, February 28, 2010

Music of Bhutan Research Center: Jane and Janet from Santa Cruz visit Bhutan


In late November, Jane Hancock and Dr. Janet Herman the co-founders of the Music of Bhutan Research Center returned to Bhutan. Here in Bhutan, along with Kheng Sonam Dorji, one of the finest musicians in the nation, they continued their work of documenting, preserving adn promoting traditional Bhutanese music.

Jane and Janet were instrumental in bringing me to Bhutan, connecting me to KILU music school, exposing me to Bhutanese music, connecting me with Sonam Dorji, and giving me lots of information ahead of my trip about Bhutan. After meeting them in San Francisco and then later on in Santa Cruz, it was fantastic and quite special to meet them here in Thimphu.

Aside from doing their own research, I had Jane, Janet and Sonam come on my radio show "Deep Listening" to speak about the Music of Bhutan Research Center and to play various recordings from recent field recordings that have yet to be released on CD. It was a very special show.



Since Jane is a great elementary school teacher back in California, and in particular has wonderful interactive presentations about classical music and composers, I arranged for her to do a presentation on Handel for my students at KILU Music School. It was a great success!




Cheers,
Noam

No comments:

Post a Comment