Friday, September 4, 2009

First Public Performance In Bhutan!


I have just returned from my first public performance here in Bhutan. I was invited by the Director of the Department of Information and Communication, Mr. Tenzin Chhoden (in the picture below) who also happens to be the chair of the board of directors for the Kilu Music School to perform for a half an hour at a ceremony celebrating the signing of

a contract to build an IT park in Thimpu.


The event was being held at the Taj hotel, with the chief executives for the companies involved, cabinet ministers, parliament members as well as members of the press as guests.


The evening started at 18:00 at the banquet hall, my keyboard situated stage right, with chairs for the signing right in the center, and a podium for speeches stage left. The front row for the audience presented a banquet table for the ministers and dignitaries, including a chair with a decorative and colorful robe placed in the center for the guest of honor the Finance Minister. Behind this front row were round banquet style tables for the rest of the guests. With several speeches from several of the ministers (Information & Communication, Finance) as well as the company representatives (Indian company with partners in Singapore, I belive). The formal signing took place, and was followed by a speech by Tenzin who sealed the event with a series of thanks.


Most of the speeches from the Bhutanese officials spoke about the great promise of this new IT Park, and the great desire of the Royal Bhutanese Governemt to continue and encourage outside investment in the country. “A stable and thriving economy is the basis for a vibrant democracy”. The speeches and the entire event were filled with references to Gross National Happiness, the purveying philosophy of the nation, with gratitude to the foreign companies and the diligent work of the various offices of the government who were involved in making this project a reality.


The speakers spoke of the need to further develop the nation, while maintaining a philosophy of sustainability, and dealing with some of the unemployment issues, which this park should help with. The finance minister spoke of how the democratically elected government only in its second full year now, has already made great strides in implementing new plans and projects. The foreign executives lavished praise upon the government, and the people of Bhutan.


Indeed this was a formal event, with many of the kinds of characteristics that one would find in a similar event in the west. I was sitting in the back, watching the event unfold, waiting my turn to perform, sitting alongside the press corps, who were taking notes in their journals.


I was finally called to perform, as an interlude between the main event and the dinner which was going to be held outside. I performed a mixed program featuring Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, (1st Movement), Mozart Bb Piano Sonata (1st Movement), Heartland (original) and Nocturne no. 2 Eb by Chopin. My performance was semi formal, with people holding various conversations, drinking and mostly staying put, with a few listening. A polite applause at the end of each piece and at the end of my entire (25 minute) performance. The applause in general for the event maintained the same decibal throughtout, so I did not feel offended.


I received multiple compliments from various people about my music and my performance, and so I was happy to discover that apparently it went over quite well. Tenzin was satisfied, and so I felt good about the way it worked out.


I stayed for dinner outside at the courtyard of the Taj. The Taj, like every other building in Thimpu retains traditional Bhutanese architecture (as mandated by law). The setting was splendid, with the moon shining upon the courtyard and the mountains serving as the foil for the night. A bon fire was lit in the middle of the courtyard, and chairs were scattered all around the yard. There was a good 30 minute performance of local Bhutanese music and dance. With a trio of musicians playing the Dramnyen (lute), Zither and Chiwang (fiddle). Songs and dances were performed from a variety of geographical and ethnic styles.


Meanwhile Tenzin introduced me to the various ministers that were present (I & C, Finance, Labor) as well as multiple members of parliament. I got to speak to several of them, including the Finance minister who lives right across the street from me. I told him I was his neighbor, and we had a very warm exchange. Most interesting was the long exchange I had with Karma Lhamo, a woman in her late 20’s who is the parliament member in the lower house representing a district in the east, approx. 90 km west of Trashingang. We had a nice long chat about her work in the parliament, her election campaign, and the issues she cares about. She is primarily doing work regarding women and childre. Working to raise public awareness about education for girls, domestic violence and discrimination against women. I also met several of her colleagues, women members of parliament, including the youngest member of parliament who is 26 years old.


So there I was, having barely been here for 10 days and I’m already rubbing elbows with cabinet ministers, and being invited for dinner at parliament members’ houses. The meal itself was quite elaborate, with many delicious entrees and it was a first of a kind experience for me, to be an honored guest at the kind of event I’ve only ever seen on TV before, or played a gig for (and therefore was part of the “staff” rather than a guest). In this case, I was treated as a well respected guest, and made to feel quite welcome.


I am happy that I was able to perform on behalf of Kilu, and have my payment go directly to the school account, happy to be able to contribute financially so quickly and happy to be able to perform publicly so soon, and excited that I got to meet some of the people that are crafting policy and making decisions for Bhutan.


So, tomorrow i'm off for a two day road trip to Paro and the Haa Valley (western Bhutan) with my new Danish friend, Signe.


Tashi Delek,
Noam

1 comment:

  1. I have always been fascinated by Bhutan. Its great that country is opening up more to outside world.

    ReplyDelete